At Cumming Martial Arts we’re in the business of teaching people how to be safe. As COVID-19 spreads, we want to continue to reassure you that we’re using appropriate caution and will do our part to assist the public health effort underway to control the spread of this disease.
Here are the things we’re doing to ensure that Cumming Martial Arts continues to be a clean, healthy, and safe place to train.
What We’re Doing
We’re monitoring public health advisories.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)—We’re following recommended precautions for businesses and hygiene best practices.
- City and school districts—We’re monitoring city and school advisories.
If you have any questions or if we can help in any way, don’t hesitate to ask.
We will get through this together as a community and as a FAMILY! Thank you all for your patience, understanding, and continued support.
Shihan Ian Evans
We’re sanitizing everything—constantly. Seriously.
- Mats—Sanitized after every class
- Gear and equipment—Sanitized after every use
- Door handles and light switches—Sanitized prior to every shift—morning, noon, and evening
- Bathrooms—Washed and disinfected daily
- Common areas (lobby, walkway, tiger den)—Washed and disinfected daily
- Check-in iPad—We’ve removed them, and the instructors will take attendance for the time being.
We’re providing easy access to sanitation for our members.
- Temperature checks are mandatory for all persons entering the dojo via our wall-mounted devices
- Throughout the dojo —Hand sanitizer stations are available
- In restrooms—Antibacterial hand soap as well as instructions for good hand washing hygiene
- At the front desk/on the mat—Disinfectant wipes are available
We’re providing opportunities for our members to practice at home.
- There’s an app for that—For those who stay home to self-quarantine, we’re offering video tutorials, technique descriptions, and a week-by-week calendar that includes all the techniques to be practiced in class in our OnMat Now app.
for additional training videos and techniques.
- Livestream—We’re live-streaming our classes.
- Limited contact—To limit contact, we’re adjusting our curriculum to feature training that does not require contact.
What You Can Do
- Take care of yourself—If you’re sick, take a day off from training. Our policy—year-round—is that if you have a fever, stay home for at least 24 hours after the fever breaks.
- Coughing and sneezing—Need to cough or sneeze? It’s normal. Kindly cover it with your elbow to limit the spread of germs. FACT: Did you know that when someone sneezes, the droplets travel about 10 feet before they hit the ground and are no longer airborne?
- Wash your hands—Using soap and water, sing “Happy Birthday” to yourself twice (or wash for 20 seconds) to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- Use hand sanitizer—We have plenty. So, use them before, during, and after training.
- Disinfect your gear—Need to use our antibacterial gym wipes? No problem.
- Clean your uniforms —Wash your uniforms between uses. If you need an extra one, let us know – we’ll offer a 30% discount on them.
- Boost your immune system—Do your immune system a favor: drink plenty of water, maintain a good diet, exercise, and get enough sleep.
What About Our Culture?
- Handshakes and high-fives—We’re temporarily avoiding hand contact between one another. Instead, we’re “elbow bumping” as we leave class.
- Bowing—Still, a great way to greet one another!
This is an unusual event, and we’re here to listen and provide feedback to students and families in our community.
While there’s still so much we don’t know about this virus, this we DO know: We’re monitoring the spread of COVID-19 and will be proactive in our prevention efforts.